Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Everyday Special

My Mother, Alsuira age 15



My mother a widow in her early thirties made a courageous decision to uproot the only life she knew in São Miguel,Açores and traveled on a jet plane across the Atlantic ocean with her three young children and immigrated to America. I always viewed this as such a bold and courageous act. I often reflect on what that journey must of been like for my mother, sister and brothers.

When she came to America, she celebrated her new lifr by purchasing a Polish China set. She later met my father, remarried and surprise I came along! Believe it or not this china sat in my mothers china cabinet for 32 years! When my parents decided to move back to Portugal, my mother said that she wanted me to have the china set. I was elated because I was getting married that same year and it was the perfect gift. I would now possess the beautiful Polish China set. I have used it a couple times but now it is sitting in my china cabinet and I've realized I need to use it more. No need to wait for a special occasion because every day is special. So in honor of my mother's brave journey 38 years ago; I will use the Polish China set more. So if you ever come to visit, I'll be sure to bring out the china.




The Polish China


And these photos... oh how I love reusing, reducing and recycling. I've added these to my virtual vision board:


theletteredcottage.net

urbanlifestyledecorblog.com
myhomeideas.com

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Can't wait until next time I visit and can enjoy your beautiful china set with you. What a beautiful story Nancy! xoxox

    ReplyDelete