Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Heart of Nourishment

The girls love being sisters!

As I began settling in to the start of the week, I was accompanied by a misty, gray, crisp autumn morning. I felt compelled to let out a long sigh. And at that very moment a profound sense of gratitude swelled up inside me.

I acknowledged my current state: calm,peacful and collected. I realized that loving my children is helping to heal me. What I mean by this, is that I am loving them in a deeper more compasionate way than I have ever known. Honoring them with respect and dignity. I make intense efforts to avoid diminishing their feelings and allow them the space to feel what they are feeling. All in belief that they will continue to develop and understand who they are and what they need.

For example, when I find myself saying things like "oh your not really that upset, you are just tired". Amelie, will look at me in a confused way. I realize that I'm denying her true feelings and I quickly say "Oh you are upset" and make sure to accompany my change of thought with a comforting long hug. She'll respond with a confident yes and surrenders to my hug.

Parenting isn't simple, nor is there a quick read that will explain the right and wrongs of parenting. I believe that following what your heart tells you is the best way. Being a mother and understanding the true core of unconditional love and wanting and needing to express that love to your child is nourishing to the heart. Wouldn't you agree? Please share some stories on how your child/children have nourished your heart? I would love to hear them!


Link Love:

This is just darling!

If my creative and wonderful hubby is reading this. Here's what I envision the inside of the mudroom to look like.
Love how she captures precious moments in her photos.
I've really got a thing for burlap. This and this. oh and this. I LOVE IT!
I'm really digging this for one of the walls in Amelie's room!
Oh how I wish Jason and I could re-honeymoon here again.


Beijocas
Gypsy Being

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy, I loved your post about loving your girls and validating what they are feeling. it's so true how we can easily diminish feelings. I'm reading a wonderful book on parenting (as part of my new role in family ministry): Parenting beyond your Capacity by Reggie Joiner. It's about connecting our families to a wider community. Great read! I'm still looking for the parent handbook as I venture into preteen years with my son...let me know if you find it! love your blog, Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara,
    Thank you so much for the parenting book suggestion. I am so excited to hear about your new role in family ministry. You are so fortunate to have found your calling.

    ReplyDelete