Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Fondness of Friendships and a recipe too!

photo credit: D. Sharon Pruitt

Recently, a conversation between two friends on facebook touched my heart so deeply, it inspired me to write this post. It all came about when my dear friend Meg,posted on her status that she was making butternut sqaush soup. Another friend inquired about the recipe. Long story short it was my recipe! How wonderful!

I have known both of these lovely ladies for over a decade. The friend that was cooking the soup moved out of state some time ago. We haven't been able to keep in touch as much as I would like to. It was quite some time ago that I had shared that recipe with her. When I learned that she was cooking and using my recipe... a deep sense of sisterhood filled my heart. That's the funny thing about life, people come in and out of it all the time. However, the memory of the moments you shared with that individual is what you hold on to, what you are grateful for and most importantly, what you treasure. I feel fortunate to have had so many awe-inspiring women walk in and out of my life. So on this halloween day, I want to share this same recipe with the rest of you lovelies. I hope that when you make this soup, you will remember me and that I will be there with you (in your kitchen)and we can relive some of the special memories we've had together! Enjoy it's yumm-a-licious!

Apple and Butternut Squash Soup
Yields: 8 servings (this recipe has evolved over the years)

3 tb unsalted butter
1 lg onion
2 tb curry powder
1 ts chilli powder
3 lb butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (8 cups)
3 cups of Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and chopped
Salt & Pepper
1/2 c Heavy Cream
3 1/2 c Veggie Broth
1 ts ground cloves
1 ts all spice
1 ts cinnamon
* Note I always sprinkle a bit more of the above 3 spices to taste*

In a large heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and chili powder. Mix well. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of veggie broth, squash, apples and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes until squash is very tender, stirring occasionally.

Strain soup, reserving liquid. Puree vegetables in a food processor in several batches. In same pot, combine vegetable puree, reserved cooking liquid, remaining 1 cup of veggie broth and cream. Bring just to simmering. Add cinnamon, All spice and cloves to taste. Ladle soup into warm bowls. Garnish with parsley.

Original source for this soup was the Victoria Magazine, January 1994.

Beijocas and Happy Halloween!
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment